Like Loki, MacKenzie Green is BACK! We talk Loki, the MCU, and why does James’ friends keep spoiling these shows for him!? We love our new generation of teen dramas from HBO Max’s Gossip Girl reboot, to Never Have I Ever, and Genera+ion but as Refiniery 29 points out, do all of these groundbreaking shows have a colorism issue? In the main Korner we James leads us through a deep dive surrounding the wave of racism in UK football, but is this nothing new for European football, especially for colonizing countries, and has social media exacerbated the problem? Anti-Blackness is a global phenomenon. MacKenzie abandons her original korner because we need to talk about Jeff Bezos and his penis rocket.
Guest Co-Host: MacKenzie Green (she/her)- Vice President of Social Media for Who What Wear/Clique Brands. She previously served a social media director at BET+, and worked for Betches, Telemundo, Paramount, and NBCUNIVERSAL. She is a graduate of Columbia Business School and the University of Miami. Holds two SunCoast Emmys, served as the former vice chair of the National Council of Negro Women , a proud memeber of Kappa Kappa Gamma and The Links Inc, and held the title of Miss DC USA in 2010. TW: @MacKenzieAGreen, IG: @missusatomba
- It Isn’t Just Gossip Girl — TV Has A Major Colorism Problem
- Racism in European Football
- The Root- Black Soccer Players Receive Racist Abuse After Missing Penalty Kicks for England and, Of Course, Taking a Knee
- CNBC – Soccer players slam Facebook and Twitter’s response to racist abuse
- The Root – Royal Couple Denounces Soccer Racism—but Will They Be Silent or Silenced About Racism Toward Meghan Markle?
- The Guardian – English football is consumed by racism and hatred. Can the cycle be broken?
- The Guardian – It’s not just football – it’s a barometer of diversity. Bring on the Euros
Minority Korner on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2JsXEuu
Host/Producer: James Arthur M: TW: @JamesArthur_M, IG: @JamesArthur
In this episode...
About the show
Are you easily confused by terms like cultural appropriation, cisgender, toxic masculinity, twunk, queer, black girl magic, and woke? Or maybe you’re tired of explaining terms like these and you need a community that gets you! Welcome to Minority Korner, where we take an introspective look at the world. through an intersectional lens. Join James: a queer, political, comedian, self proclaimed, sexy blerd (that’s Black Nerd) and each week he’s joined in the Korner by another fabulous minority tackling pop culture, the news, media, and history all with a little self care, and self love sprinkled throughout! It’s time to Learn, Laugh, and Play, right here at Minority Korner- because together: we’re the majority!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!