This week Avi Roque (they/them) joins the conversation. We start off with an important discussion about Dave Chappelle and the effect his hurtful actions are having on the Trans community. Maybe he should be listening to this episode right? Next, we talk about the tragedy that happened on the Rust set with the death of Halyna Hutchins. What does this mean for the safety of film sets moving forward? How will people trust this won’t happen again? Then in the main Korner Avi gives us an E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N on the well known holiday Dia De Los Muertos. We dive into the history of it and what it really means. James and Avi also discuss their heritage and what they`ve learned about themselves in the process and that Grandpa Russell had a lot of kids!
Guest Co-Host: Avi Roque (They/Them) is a Latine, Trans, Nonbinary actor & voice artist. Most recently, you can watch them on Disney’s Animated Series, The Owl House, as the voice behind Nonbinary character, Raine Whispers. Avi is also the narrator of several audiobooks, including New York Time’s Best-Seller, Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. Lastly, they are happily engaged to TV Writer, Christina Nieves, together parenting 2 sweet cats, Benny & Ru. aviroque.com
Rust Tragedy, What We Know So Far…
- Vulture – EXPLAINERS UPDATED OCT. 27, 2021 ‘No One Has Been Ruled Out’ of Facing Charges in Rust Shooting, Says Sheriff
- The Mary Sue – What We Know About Fatal Rust Accident That Took the Life of Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
- The Cut- All the Fallout From Dave Chappelle’s Controversial New Special
- Vulture – Dave Chappelle the Comedy Relic
- What A Day – How Chapelle Fueled a Netflix Walkout
Dia De Los Muertos:
- THE HISTORY OF DIA DE LOS MUERTOS AND WHY YOU SHOULDN’T APPROPRIATE IT
- PBS – Beyond Sugar Skulls: The History and Culture of Dia de los Muertos
- The Native Roots of Dia De Los Muertos
- The History of Day of the Dead
- Day of the Dead history: Ritual dates back 3,000 years and is still evolving
Watch James Host the Marvel Studios’ Eternals Red Carpet Premiere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTxYjmU01c
Minority Korner on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2JsXEuu
Host/Producer: James Arthur M: TW: @JamesArthur_M, IG: @JamesArthur
In this episode...
About the show
Are you easily confused by terms like cultural appropriation, cisgender, toxic masculinity, twunk, queer, black girl magic, and woke? Or maybe you’re tired of explaining terms like these and you need a community that gets you! Welcome to Minority Korner, where we take an introspective look at the world. through an intersectional lens. Join James: a queer, political, comedian, self proclaimed, sexy blerd (that’s Black Nerd) and each week he’s joined in the Korner by another fabulous minority tackling pop culture, the news, media, and history all with a little self care, and self love sprinkled throughout! It’s time to Learn, Laugh, and Play, right here at Minority Korner- because together: we’re the majority!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!