The Album: Earth, Wind & Fire That’s The Way Of The World (1975)
On March 15, 1975, Columbia Records released “That’s The Way Of The World” the sixth studio album of Earth Wind & Fire, a band of 10 members who fused rock, jazz, funk and soul. The album sold five million units, and won a Grammy for the single “Shining Star” (Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group). Produced by Maurice White and Charles Stepney, the album focused on EWF’s familiar themes, spirituality, oneness, love.
Oscar and Golden Globe nominated composer Raphael Saadiq joined Oliver and Morgan in studio to talk That’s The Way of The World and all the things that made EWF iconic including, Philip Bailey’s falsetto, Maurice White’s mysticisms and drum heroics, Charles Stepney’s production and the harmonies that caught his ear and his attention and the happy feelings the band’s music inspired in his own musicianship as a youth growing up in Oakland.
You’ll want to catch this one. Because Reasons.
And stay tuned after the interview for a special segment celebrating the life and music of Nipsey Hussel, who would have turned 34 this week. Rest in power, Nipsey.
More on Raphael Saadiq
- Raphael Saadiq Finally Put His Past on the Record (The New York Times)
- Raphael Saadiq is a Real One(Afropunk)
- Twitter | Instagram
More on That’s The Way Of The World
- Earth, Wind & Fire: 12 Essential Songs (Rolling Stone)
- BBC’s review of That’s the Way of the World
- Key Tracks: Earth Wind, & Fire’s That’s the Way of the World (Red Bull Music Academy)
Show Tracklisting (all songs from That’s The Way Of The World unless indicated otherwise):
- See The Light
- Raphael Saadiq: So Ready
- Earth, Wind & Fire: On Your Face
- The Jacksons: Show You The Way To Go
- Al Green: I’m Still In Love With You
- B.B King: Heed My Warning
- War: Why Can’t We Be Friends
- Rick James: Bustin’ Out
- 2 Men, A Drum Machine and A Trumpet: Tired of Getting Pushed Around
- Funkadelic: (Not Just) Knee Deep
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Love Music
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Love’s Holiday
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Imagination
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Yearnin’ Learnin’ (Live)
- Minnie Ripperton: Les Fleur
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Can’t Let Go
- All About Love (First Impression)
- Shining Star
- That’s the Way of the World
- Shining Star
- Happy Feelin’
- Shirley Murdock: As We Lay
- Erick Sermon: Stay Real
- Earth, Wind & Fire: Boogie Wonderland
- The Emotions: Don’t Ask My Neighbors
- Ramsey Lewis: Sun Goddess
- The Randy Watson Experience & Bilal: Can’t Hide Love
- Nipsey Hussle: Hussle in the House
- Nipsey Hussle: FOREVER ON SOME FLY SHIT
- Nipsey Hussle: They Roll
- Nipsey Hussle: Face the World
- Nipsey Hussle: Shell Shocked
- DJ Khaled: Higher
About the show
Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock – a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.
Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don’t exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin, and more.
New episodes every Thursday on Apple Podcasts or whatever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to our website updates for exclusive bonus content (including extra interview segments, mini-episodes, etc.)
Meanwhile, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on social media:
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!