Alex Schmidt is joined by comedy writer Jenny Jaffe (Fox, Disney Channel, IFC) and comedy improviser/podcaster Moujan Zolfaghari (‘Mission To Zyxx’ podcast, ‘At Home With Amy Sedaris’) for a look at why going to the beach is secretly incredibly fascinating.
Visit http://sifpod.fun/ for research sources, handy links, and this week’s bonus episode.
LINKS FOR OUR GUESTS:
- Jenny Jaffe on Twitter
- “This TV writer is bringing your fake sitcom ideas to life on Twitter, and it’s hilarious” (Fast Company)
- Mission To Zyxx (Maximum Fun)
- TruTV’s At Home With Amy Sedaris (feat. Moujan Zolfaghari)
RESOURCES USED TO INFORM THE EPISODE’S LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
- The Historic Healing Power of the Beach (The Atlantic)
- Inventing the Beach: The Unnatural History of a Natural Place (Smithsonian)
- The Most Beautiful Girl in America (Lapham’s Quarterly)
- Report: Americans prefer beach vacations over all others (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- “Why Sand Is Disappearing” by Prof. John R. Gillis (New York Times Opinion)
- Lost Irish Beach Mysteriously Reappears After 33 Years (Gizmodo)
- Coast to ghost: Irish beach vanishes after brief reappearance (The Guardian)
- The Evolution of Beach-Going Etiquette (Los Angeles Times)
- Warm Springs Historic District (National Park Service)
- The weird origins of going to the beach (The Washington Post)
- The Victorian Seaside (BBC History)
- ‘Viva Blackpool’ 2006 TV Series (IMDb)
- Burkinis Now Allowed In Competition By British ASA (SwimSwam)
- As the bikini turns 73 years old, dip your toes into its history (Designboom)
- How the Summer of Atomic Bomb Testing Turned the Bikini Into a Phenomenon (Smithsonian)
About the show
A weekly podcast about the history, science, lore and surprises that make everyday things secretly incredibly fascinating. Hosted by comedy writer, emoji creator, and ‘Jeopardy!‘ champion Alex Schmidt. Join Alex & his co-host Katie Goldin for a joyful deep dive into seeing the world a whole new way!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!