The album: Common: Like Water For Chocolate (MCA, 2000)
This week, we are joined by Los Angeles rapper, Ill Camille. She picked Common’s Like Water For Chocolate from 2000, a moment that marked the Chicago’s turn towards becoming a hip-hop elder statesman, backed by the production might of the Soulquarians crew. Camille’s love for the album runs deep and during the course of our taping, she’d bust out Common’s rhymes, line for line.
More on Common and Like Water For Chocolate:
- Oliver’s original 2000 review of the album for the LA Weekly
- Mensah Demary’s “liner notes” of the album for The Toast.
More on Ill Camille:
- Her new album, Heirloom
- Profile of Ill Camille and Heirloom in the L.A. Weekly
- Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “6th Sense (Feat. Bilal)”
- Ill Camille Heirloom “Black Gold”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Nag Champa (Afrodisiac for the World)”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Geto Heaven”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “A Song For Assata (Feat. Cee-Lo Green)”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Funky For You (Feat. Bilal & Jill Scott)”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “The Light”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Thelonius (Feat. Slum Village)”
- Georgia Ann Muldrow: “Untitled/Fantastic Remix”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Dooinit”
- Common: Like Water For Chocolate “Time Travelin (A Tribute to Fela)”
If you’re not already subscribed to Heat Rocks in Apple Podcasts, do it here!
About the show
Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock – a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.
Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don’t exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin, and more.
New episodes every Thursday on Apple Podcasts or whatever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to our website updates for exclusive bonus content (including extra interview segments, mini-episodes, etc.)
Meanwhile, you can email us at email@example.com or follow us on social media:
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!