The album: Change: Miracles (Atlantic, 1981)
This week, we are joined by Dam-Funk, Stones Throw recording artist, resident DJ for the legendary Funkmosphere parties and all-around apostle of the boogie. He was one of the very first artists we invited to tape Heat Rocks, back in its pilot stage, and we’re very pleased to finally shared the episode in which he took us on a deep trip into Change’s Miracles.
Along the way, we talked about the post-disco, Chic-era of funk and R&B, how Italian and New York musical communities collided on this album, and how a young kid, growing up in Pasadena, would drive up to Mt. Wilson, bumping this on cassette.
More on Change and Miracles:
- Love Come Down’s post about whether Change is disco’s “most underrated band“.
- Robert Christgau’s short-by-sweet review of Miracles
More on Dam-Funk:
- Dam-Funk spinning an hour-plus set on Boiler Room Collections
- His interview on Resident Advisor
- Andy Beta’s review of his 2015 album, Invite the Light.
- Website | Twitter | Instagram
- Change: Miracles “Paradise”
- Dam-Funk: Invite The Lights “Just Ease Your Mind From All Negativity (Feat. Snoop Dogg and Joi Gilliam)”
- Parliament: Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome “Flash Light”
- The Bar-Kays: Money Talks “Holy Ghost”
- Mtune: Juicy Fruit “Juicy Fruit”
- Chic: Risqué “Good Times”
- Change: Miracles “Heaven In My Life”
- Nite Funk: Nite-Funk “Let Me Be ME”
- Change: Miracles “Miracles”
- Change: Miracles “Hold Tight”
- Dam-Funk: A Beautiful Day “A Beautiful Day”
- Dam-Funk: Adolescent Funk “When I’m With You I Think Of Her”
- Change: Miracles “On Top”
If you’re not already subscribed to Heat Rocks in Apple Podcasts, do it here!
About the show
Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock – a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.
Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don’t exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin, and more.
New episodes every Thursday on Apple Podcasts or whatever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to our website updates for exclusive bonus content (including extra interview segments, mini-episodes, etc.)
Meanwhile, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on social media:
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!