What is it like to feel better in your mental state? And what does it take to get there and to stay that way? Those are some of the questions we ask in this interview with the great comedian Gary Gulman. Gary sounds very different than when John Moe first interviewed him back in the fall of 2017 when Gary had been hospitalized for depression and was just beginning to turn things around. We hear about how he convinced himself to begin a very kind and manageable exercise regimen, how he tended to his nutrition, and how he took a pretty radical approach to saying yes to just about every opportunity that came his way, even when that meant having lunch with audience members who asked on the day after a show.
From this episode, host John Moe says, “We spend a lot of time on this podcast talking about what it’s like to feel terrible. Because it’s good to know that and people can relate and feel less alone. We carry each other’s load. But I thought it would be good to also hear about what recovery can sound like.”
For more live shows and more information, visit Gary’s website, www.GaryGulman.com.
OH AND ALSO it’s the week 2 of our annual MAX FUN DRIVE! Now is your chance to support Depresh Mode so it can keep happening!
To entice you, we are offering:
- The satisfaction of helping make this show, which helps people, possible!
- Access to WHAT WORKS FOR ME, our all-listener bonus content episode. Regular people share the tips and tricks of what works for them to improve their mental health or at least make the day a little more manageable.
- A one-of-a-kind Depresh Mode restickable sticker featuring Oops Nope, our official Depresh Mode mascot. That’s right: restickable.
- The Maximum Fun Family Cookbook, featuring recipes from all your favorite shows, including John Moe’s famous Marshmallow Crappy. We also have a jar of Max Fun seasoning, which can go with just about any food, and the MAXIMUM YUM APRON, which is stylish and also black, so it hides stains.
- Hats, messenger bags, and so much more!
- Go to maximumfun.org/join, find a level that works for you, and join us RIGHT NOW! Exclamation points!
Thank you to all our listeners who support the show as monthly members of Maximum Fun.
Check out our I’m Glad You’re Here and Depresh Mode merchandise at the brand new merch website MaxFunStore.com!
Hey, remember, you’re part of Depresh Mode and we want to hear what you want to hear about. What guests and issues would you like to have covered in a future episode? Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help is available right away.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988 or 1-800-273-8255, 1-800-273-TALK
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741.
International suicide hotline numbers available here: https://www.opencounseling.com/suicide-hotlines
The Depresh Mode newsletter is available twice a week. Subscribe for free and stay up to date on the show and mental health issues. https://johnmoe.substack.com/
John’s acclaimed memoir, The Hilarious World of Depression, is now available in paperback. https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250209566/thehilariousworldofdepression
Find the show on Twitter @depreshpod and Instagram @depreshpod.
John is on Twitter @johnmoe.
Audio clip of Gary Gulman from “The Hilarious World of Depression®”, a production from Minnesota Public Radio®. (p) 2017 Minnesota Public Radio®. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
About the show
Join host John Moe (The Hilarious World of Depression) for honest, relatable, and, yes, sometimes funny conversations about mental health. Hear from comedians, musicians, authors, actors, and other top names in entertainment and the arts about living with depression, anxiety, and many other common disorders. Find out what they’ve done to address it, what worked, and what didn’t. Depresh Mode with John Moe also features useful insights on mental health issues with experts in the field. It’s honest talk from people who have been there and know their stuff. No shame, no stigma, and maybe a few laughs.
Like this podcast? Then you’ll love John’s book, The Hilarious World of Depression.
Logo by Clarissa Hernandez.
Get in touch with the show
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!