Alex Schmidt is joined by comedy writer/podcaster Katie Goldin (‘Creature Feature’ podcast, @ProBirdRights) for a look at why “Dogs Playing Poker” is secretly incredibly fascinating.
Visit http://sifpod.fun/ for research sources, handy links, and this week’s bonus episode.
LINKS FOR THE GUESTS:
- Katie Goldin on Twitter
- ‘Creature Feature’ podcast (iHeartRadio)
- When Is a Bird a ‘Birb’? An Extremely Important Guide (Audubon)
RESOURCES USED TO INFORM THE EPISODE’S LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
- U.S. Department Of Arts And Culture
- The True Native New Yorkers Can Never Truly Reclaim Their Homeland (Smithsonian)
- Mapping Manahatta: 10 Lenape sites in New York City (6sqft)
- Poplorica : a popular history of the fads, mavericks, inventions, and lore that shaped modern America by Martin J Smith and Patrick J Kiger
- Why This Painting of Dogs Playing Poker Has Endured for over 100 Years (Artsy.net)
- The Story Behind the Iconic ‘Dogs Playing Poker’ Paintings (MyModernMet.com)
- 15 Things You Should Know About Dogs Playing Poker (Mental Floss)
- Lucky Dog! The Art History of C.M. Coolidge’s Dogs Playing Poker (Ten By Ten Magazine)
- ‘Dogs Playing Poker’ sell for $590K (CNN Money)
- That Dogs Playing Poker Painting Just Sold for Over $650,000 (GQ)
Here’s one source for a whole gallery of Cassius Marcellus Coolidge’s art. Some highlights:
“Poker Game” (1894)
“A Friend In Need” (1900s)
“A Bold Bluff” (1900s)
“A Waterloo” (1900s)
About the show
A weekly podcast about the history, science, lore and surprises that make everyday things secretly incredibly fascinating. Hosted by comedy writer, emoji creator, and ‘Jeopardy!‘ champion Alex Schmidt. Join Alex & his co-host Katie Goldin for a joyful deep dive into seeing the world a whole new way!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!