Alex Schmidt is joined by comedy podcasters/writers David Christopher Bell and Tom Reimann (Gamefully Unemployed) for a look at why cat food is secretly incredibly fascinating.
Visit http://sifpod.fun/ for research sources, handy links, and this week’s bonus episode.
LINKS FOR THE GUESTS:
- Gamefully Unemployed on Patreon
- Tom Reimann’s page at Collider.com
- Some More News (YouTube)
- “Kitten” by David Christopher Bell featured on The Black List
RESOURCES USED TO INFORM THE EPISODE’S LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
- How Cats Used Humans to Conquer the World (The Atlantic)
- The Cat’s Meat Man, From Dickens To Jack The Ripper (Longreads)
- Pets in America: A History by Katherine C. Grier
- In Meat We Trust: An Unexpected History of Carnivore America by Maureen Ogle
- A debt to pets: Which domestic animal gets the most pampering? (The Economist 1843 Magazine)
- Facts + Statistics: Pet Ownership and Insurance (III.org)
- 2020 survey results from the Canadian Animal Health Institute
- Christian the lion, our joy and pride (The Guardian)
- Curious Cat Walks Over Medieval Manuscript (National Geographic)
- What Happens When a Human Eats Pet Food? (Vice)
- Why Isn’t Cat Food Mouse-Flavored? (Mental Floss)
- The Importance of Ash Level in Pet Food (informational blog from Chewy.com)
- Can People Safely Eat Cat Food? (Popular Science)
- Ripley’s Believe It Or Not write-up of “Monsieur Mangetout”, who supposedly ate all of the pieces of an airplane
- National Geographic rundown of the different types of carnivores
- The Inner Life of Cats (Scientific American)
- The impact of free-ranging domestic cats on wildlife of the United States (Nature) — this is the huge study in the 3rd takeaway.
About the show
A weekly podcast about the history, science, lore and surprises that make everyday things secretly incredibly fascinating. Hosted by comedy writer, emoji creator, and ‘Jeopardy!‘ champion Alex Schmidt. Join Alex & his co-host Katie Goldin for a joyful deep dive into seeing the world a whole new way!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!