Alex Schmidt is joined by comedy writer/podcaster Diana McCallum (FromSuperheroes.com, host of ‘Talk From Superheroes’) and comedy writer Eileen O’Connell (Funny Or Die, The Pack Theater) for a look at why car horns are secretly incredibly fascinating.
Visit http://sifpod.fun/ for research sources, handy links, and this week’s bonus episode.
LINKS FOR THE GUESTS:
- ‘Talk From Superheroes’ podcast
- Diana McCallum on Twitter
- Eileen O’Connell on Twitter
- Eileen O’Connell on YouTube
- VoyageLA interview with Eileen O’Connell
RESOURCES USED TO INFORM THE EPISODE’S LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
- U.S. Department Of Arts And Culture
- The True Native New Yorkers Can Never Truly Reclaim Their Homeland (Smithsonian)
- Mapping Manahatta: 10 Lenape sites in New York City (6sqft)
- Meep Meep! The History and Evolution of Car Horns (Car And Driver)
- The Objekt Series: Car by Gregory Votolato
- How Do Car Horns Work? (HowStuffWorks / YouTube) — this video in particular has great diagrams of a horn mechanism, and where a horn sits in a car.
- Klaxons; What makes them sound like that? (Technology Connections / YouTube) — this video in particular has great close-up views of actual horns and klaxons.
- The British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act (as of 2010)
- The history of car radios, from AM to Apple (The Globe And Mail)
- Charts & Graphs: Technophobia (Lapham’s Quarterly)
- India’s transport minister plans a more melodious traffic flow (The Irish Times)
- NASCAR Lingo 101 (Fansided.com)
- Why don’t NASCAR race cars have doors? (NBC Sports / YouTube)
- Birds, bison, and bears—here’s how to see wildlife from your car (National Geographic)
- Memory Alpha Wikia entry for Klaxon
- sample of an “Awooga” on old klaxon
- sample of a WWII submarine dive klaxon
- “OmarDrives” on YouTube: “Here are the HORN SOUNDS I tested in 2020”
In this episode...
- Diana McCallum
- Eileen O'Connell
About the show
A weekly podcast about the history, science, lore and surprises that make everyday things secretly incredibly fascinating. Hosted by comedy writer, emoji creator, and ‘Jeopardy!‘ champion Alex Schmidt. Join Alex & his co-host Katie Goldin for a joyful deep dive into seeing the world a whole new way!
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!