The album: The Kay-Gee’s: Keep On Bumpin’ & Masterplan (Gang, 1974)
We invited Philly hip-hop star Bahamadia to join us and she kept things tri-state by picking the 1974 debut album by New Jersey’s The Kay-Gee’s, originally an off-shoot of Kool and the Gang. The Kay-Gee’s may not be household names in the same manner as Kool and the Gang or the Ohio Players but especially on this debut, they cooked up an impressively diverse and surprisingly eclectic set of tracks that defy simple expectation. What other band ends their album with their own “greatest hits montage“?
More on the Kay-Gee’s Keep On Bumpin’ & Masterplan
More on Bahamadia
- Her EP, Dialed Up 2 from last fall.
- Bahamadia on her Dialed Up series for UndergroundHipHop.com
- Interview with Bahamadia on Weekly Rap Gods.
- Website | Bandcamp | Twitter | Facebook
Show Tracklisting (all songs from Keep On Bumpin’ & Masterplan unless indicated otherwise):
- “Who’s the Man (With The Master Plan)”
- Bahamadia: Kollage “Wordplay”
- The Trammps: Disco Inferno “Disco Inferno”
- MFSB: Love Is The Message“Love Is The Message”
- James Brown: Getting’ Down To It“Cold Sweat”
- Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band:Express Yourself “Express Yourself”
- Parliament: Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome “Flashlight”
- “My Favorite Song”
- The Floaters: Float On “Float On”
- Cameo: We All Know Who We Are “Why Have I Lost You”
- “Aint No Time (pt 1)”
- You’ve Got To Keep on Bumpin”
- “Who’s The Man (With The Master Plan)”
- Madlib and J-Dilla: Champion Sound Jaylib (The Official)
- Tom Browne: Funkin For Jamaica “Funkin for Jamaica”
- “Get Down”
- Double Dee and Stein: Lesson 3“History of Hip-Hop Mix”
- “Hustle with Every Muscle”
If you’re not already subscribed to Heat Rocks in Apple Podcasts, do it here!
About the show
Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock – a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.
Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don’t exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin, and more.
New episodes every Thursday on Apple Podcasts or whatever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe to our website updates for exclusive bonus content (including extra interview segments, mini-episodes, etc.)
Meanwhile, you can email us at email@example.com or follow us on social media:
How to listen
Stream or download episodes directly from our website, or listen via your favorite podcatcher!