In celebration of World Lemur Day, Ellen is joined by anthropology professor Ben Freed for a look up into the treetops of northern Madagascar to review crowned lemurs. Our guest brings his insight from experience studying these charismatic primates to discuss topics like the rainforest dress code, what your cell phone has in common with lemur cognition, and the unbreakable interspecies bonds between primates that remind us humans of our own place in nature.
- Learn more about the community-based conservation & ecotourism programs at Bobaomby Nature Conservation.
- Ben also recommends checking out the Lemur Conservation Foundation to learn more about conservation in Madagascar.
- Visit the Lemur Conservation Network’s website for more opportunities to celebrate lemurs for World Lemur Day!
- For more information about us & our podcast, head over to our website!
- Follow Just the Zoo of Us on Threads, Facebook, Instagram & Discord!
- Follow Ellen on TikTok!
About the show
Just the Zoo of Us is an animal review podcast by Ellen & Christian Weatherford of Jacksonville, Florida. Every week, each host selects one animal submitted by a listener to research, review, and rate out of ten in the categories of effectiveness, ingenuity and aesthetics. Guest episodes feature experts from all over the world sharing their knowledge and insight into the animal world.
This podcast is made with families in mind and contains no profanity or graphic language. Due to the nature of discussion centered around wildlife and their behavior, some topics such as reproduction, predation and parasitism may not be appropriate for very young children, so parents are encouraged to use discretion when listening with their families.