Full Charge Bookkeeper
Who we are & Background to the Role
Maximum Fun, a Los Angeles-based independent podcast network that began in 2008, is seeking a Full Charge Bookkeeper to fill an existing role in our growing organization.
MaxFun distributes three dozen podcasts in the areas of comedy and culture, all of which are supported by our audience. Additionally, the network generates revenue to support our operations and our partner shows through advertising and merchandise sales, and some limited events and touring.
The Full Charge Bookkeeper has primary accounting responsibilities at Maximum Fun. In addition, the Bookkeeper will be responsible for tracking and calculating our payments to partner shows, assisting with basic HR duties, and other special requests.
The Full Charge Bookkeeper at Maximum Fun is responsible for:
- Performing payroll functions in an accurate and timely manner including time tracking, expense approvals, and time off requests
- Conducting reconciliation of all accounts on an as-needed basis
- Maintaining and balancing the general ledger in an accurate, complete, and up-to-date manner
- Performing all activities related to the accounts payable function including reviewing, coding, and processing payments
- Performing accounts receivable functions including invoicing, processing deposits, and revenue recognition
- Calculating payouts for special projects, tours, and events throughout the year
- Preparing financial reports through collection, analysis, and summarization of data
- Calculating and processing sales tax
- With the Managing Director and external resources, interpreting and applying accounting policies, rules, and regulations to all work in order to ensure compliance with applicable standards
- Maintaining, developing, and improving accounting department processes for teamwork and efficiency
- Assisting our external CPA with tax preparation
Requirements and Desired Qualifications
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s or an Associate’s degree
- 3-5 years relevant experience working in accounting and bookkeeping
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of GAAP
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with accounting software, payroll systems, Google Workspace Applications, and Microsoft Excel
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and general ledger
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Analytical and creative problem solving skills
And an ideal candidate might have:
- A degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Familiarity with Xero, and with Gusto
- Experience working in media, entertainment, or creative fields
Maximum Fun is an equal opportunity employer, and actively seeks applicants from a broad variety of backgrounds. Diversity of experience and perspective is essential to our business.
Although the position is currently remote, and anticipated to remain that way for several months, all applicants must be able to commute to Los Angeles for setup and training, and to work from the office no less than three days a week when our office reopens.
Salary and Benefits
The Full Charge Bookkeeper is a full-time (35 hours a week, minimum), overtime-eligible position. The hourly rate for this position will range from $26.37 to $29.12, resulting in annual compensation (before any overtime) of roughly $48,000-$53,000. Office hours are 9:30am to 5:30pm Pacific, with an hour reserved for lunch. Full-time employees of Maximum Fun also receive paid federal holidays and a benefits package that includes health insurance, dental insurance, 401(k) employer matching, sick time, personal time, YMCA membership, and more.
This position will work out of MaxFunHQ, adjacent to MacArthur Park in Los Angeles, CA.
How to Apply
Please use this form to submit your application (it helps us keep everything organized).
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are hoping to fill the position quickly, and applications will be considered on a rolling basis. If this posting is up, there’s still time to apply.
About Maximum Fun
Maximum Fun is a pioneer in the world of podcasting, and remains a vital home for artist-owned, audience-supported podcasts. Founded by Jesse Thorn in 2008, the network has grown to roughly thirty-five shows, with recent additions including Depresh Mode with John Moe (named one of the Best New Podcasts of 2021 by Mashable), Feeling Seen, and Just the Zoo of Us.
MaxFun’s many podcasts are united by a common purpose, backed up by a unique business model. Our goal is to make shows that have a positive impact in people’s lives, and that matter to their audience. We rely primarily on audience support to make this happen. We are independent, kind, and try to be thoughtful about the value of our work and its impact on the world