Director of Development and Membership
Background and Who We Are
Maximum Fun is seeking to grow our team with a Director of Development and Membership, who will help determine and execute the long-term strategy for serving new and existing members. Members are at the core of Maximum Fun; they fund our shows and operations, and they help carry our ethos and values out into the world. This role will report to our Managing Director, and is well-suited to organized, strong communicators with expertise in sustaining membership models of fundraising for art & creative organizations.
MaxFun is a network of podcasts and a public radio show, reaching a broad listener base and dedicated to making the world a better place through knowledge and laughter. MaxFun’s motto, heard across the more than 40 podcasts we distribute, is: Comedy and culture, artist owned, audience supported. Originally founded by Jesse Thorn in 2006, the company’s activities include:
- Production of Thorn’s nationally-distributed public radio program, Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, as well as several additional hit podcasts.
- Distribution of over 30 externally-produced shows, with millions of downloads per week.
- Live touring and in-person events
Uniquely amongst major podcast networks, Maximum Fun relies on listener support to cover most of our expenses. The Director of Development and Membership will be at the heart of our audience-supported model for enabling and empowering a diverse set of creators.
Job Description and Essential Duties
The Director of Development and Membership will have primary responsibility for improving and growing our membership program, which currently serves thousands of MaxFun listeners who have chosen to financially support our shows and our network. A significant part of this role will be planning, coordinating, and executing our annual MaxFunDrive, a two-week event where we engage our community to sign up for new memberships and upgrade their existing memberships. MaxFunDrive is an all-hands event, with sustained involvement from both our production and (especially) our business teams, both before, during, and after the Drive. The Director of Development and Membership will also be charged with year-round oversight of and strategy for our membership program, working on issues such as member engagement, retention, and off-Drive member recruitment.
This is a new role at Maximum Fun, and the specific activities it entails will be somewhat directed by the right candidate. At a minimum, the Director of Development and Membership will be responsible for:
- Developing an overall 2 year strategic plan for memberships at Maximum Fun.
- Developing relevant key performance indicators and specific, measurable interventions to improve them (and executing these interventions with appropriate resources).
- Developing and executing plans for increasing member engagement and retention, in collaboration with internal and external resources.
- Uncovering, vetting, and executing opportunities for applying our audience-supported model in new contexts / for new creative works.
- Overseeing our annual MaxFunDrive, including design, gift strategy, theme, calendar, show communications, messaging, and technology.
Requirements and Desired Qualifications
The successful candidate will:
- Have a Bachelor’s or an Associates Degree
- Have 4+ years fundraising experience (online fundraising experience essential, membership / sustainer context strongly preferred)
- Be a proactive communicator
- Pay attention to detail
- Think creatively about how to prioritize and achieve goals
- Be kind
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary for the Director of Development and Membership will range from $65,000 to $85,000 per year, depending on experience. Benefits include 12 paid holidays, personal time off, a 401K with employer matching, health care through Kaiser Permanente (including dental), and reimbursement for membership at the YMCA and classes at the Barnsdall Art Center.
This position will work out of MaxFunHQ, adjacent to MacArthur Park in Los Angeles, CA.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. If this posting is up, there’s still time to apply.