Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, distributed by National Public Radio (NPR), is an arts & entertainment interview public radio show and podcast about what's good in popular culture. The program airs weekly on stations nationwide. Past guests include Judd Apatow, Elijah Wood, Michael Cera, Jane Lynch, Simon Pegg, Ice-T, Les Savy Fav, Weird Al and George R.R. Martin among many others.
We offer a comprehensive internship program, welcoming a student each academic semester. Students must commit to 20 hours per week (in the winter/spring) or 24 hours per week (in the summer) in our office near downtown Los Angeles. We are directly across the park from the Westlake / Macarthur Park Red Line station. (That's our view in the photo above!) We generally prefer students who will receive academic credit for their work, but invite any person to apply as long as he or she can provide a firm commitment for the internship period. The internship is unpaid.
What we look for in an internship applicant:
- Enthusiasm for pop culture, comedy, podcasts, public radio
- Reliability and good time management
- Excellent communication skills
This includes editing audio and/or video, creating and posting content to our website and podcast feeds, getting material broadcast and podcast-ready, coordinating occasional live shows and events, and research and prep for interviews with actors, comedians, musicians, authors, and other pop culture figures.
The goal is for the intern to have the tools for production of an independent radio show or podcast.
We offer three internship periods, each approximately four months in length. The Fall period runs roughly from September through December or early January, the Winter/Spring period from January through May or June, and the Summer period from May/June through August. We can make some provision for varying academic schedules as necessary.
SPRING INTERNSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 2, 2013.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE PRODUCTION INTERNSHIP
Please email the materials below as a Word document or PDF to email@example.com with the subject line PRODUCTION INTERNSHIP.
- A cover letter, no longer than 500 words, telling us why you're interested in Maximum Fun's programming and this internship.
- A resume. Please be sure to include any experience you may have in: radio / tv / internet broadcasting or other journalism, audio or video editing, and administrative work.
- Names and contact information (phone numbers and email) for two references. We prefer academic and professional references.